Saturday, October 25, 2008

vito of south el monte

friday night i went to my favorite sushi bar, where i ended up sitting next to an old italian couple. shortly after the man introduced himself to us, and a conversation was started. vito has six kids and has been running a food distribution company (specializing in none other than... pizza), about two blocks away from my dad's company. the last time he met a vivian was forty years ago. one thing led to another, until he started telling me about how unfortunate nuclear weapons were. from there on we talked about the state of russia and the iraqi war. he didn't think he would live to see the iraqis achieve peace, but hoped that i would. i told him i was hopeful as well, but thought it highly unlikely.

as kids we were all taught to not talk to strangers, but i find that often times the best and most memorable conversations are with people i don't know. it's such a breath of fresh air to chat with someone who is in a completely different walk of life than the one you're in.

6 comments:

Marina Liu said...

I love your blogs! And I love talking to strangers (sometimes). Once I met this guy on the bus who hitchhiked across America! At first I thought you were in SB but I realized it'd make more sense if you were back in HH... which sushi place hmmm?

Vivian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vivian said...

sushi kamon on colima, next to ninjiya and curry house. :)

Kelsey Wong said...

hi vivian! i agree with this post completely :)

Marina Liu said...

OMFG I heard there's this really really hot sushi guy who works at Sushi Kamon HEHEHE :D

Vivian said...

i think i know who you're talking about marina :)