Wednesday, September 2, 2009

roots

i moved to california two months after my sixth birthday. i am now nineteen. seeing that over two-thirds of my life was spent in los angeles (and that i barely remember the first third), it isn't really much of a surprise that i thoroughly identify myself as an american.

i often find myself watching other young people on subway trains and buses, wondering how different my life would be had i not moved. would i be into the same things as them? would i sound, dress, and act like them? there is no way to know the answers to these questions, but still i can't help but wonder.

with that said, my month here has led to a renewed appreciation of family. as much as i love my friends at home, it is an entirely different kind of "nice" to be surrounded by kin.

No comments: